The quality of pre-school provision depends greatly on the teachers and the training received by them. Teacher training and qualification offer high leverage opportunities for enhancing standards of training and expanding career opportunities for pre-school professionals in Singapore. The various levels of training are planned to cater to the different needs of the teachers and to prepare them for leadership in the sector. This will ensure that pre-school professionals are well equipped to provide our young with an enriched learning environment, to nurture their social skills and values, and prepare them for lifelong learning.
In January 2001, the Pre-school Qualification Accreditation Committee (PQAC) was set up to oversee the standards and quality of pre-school teacher training for both kindergarten and child care sectors in Singapore. This is jointly steered by the Ministry of Education (MOE) and the Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF).
To ensure the high quality of pre-school education, principals and teachers are to have the following qualification requirements:
By January 2006, all pre-school principals are required to have :
Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education – Teaching (DECCE-T)
Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education – Leadership (DECCE-L)
At least two years of relevant experience in the pre-school sector
By January 2008,
- all pre-school teachers are to be trained to at least the Certificate in Early Childhood Care and Education (CECCE) level
- 1 in 4 teachers are to be trained to the Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education – Teaching (DECCE-T) level
From 1 Jan 2009,
- New teachers must have 5 ‘O’ level credits including EL and DECCE-T
- Those with C5 or C6 in EL must obtain a minimum band 6.5 IELTS / B4 or better within 2 years of registration as a teacher
- DECCE-T must be obtained within 4 years of registration as a teacher
From 1 Jan 2013,
- Existing teachers must have ‘O’ level EL credit/5.5 in IELTS and DECCE-T to teach K1 & K2
- Each centre is to have 75% of all its pre-school teachers to meet the requirements to teach K1 & K2
- Teachers who qualify to teach K1 & K2 comprise:
- All new teachers with 5 ‘O’ level credits including a credit in EL and a DECCE-T; those with a C5 or C6 in EL will require either a B4 or a 6.5 in IELTS
- Existing teachers with an ‘O’ level EL credit/5.5 in IELTS and a DECCE-T
Definition of Existing and New Teachers
|Registered as at 31 Dec 2008
||Registered on or after 1 Jan 2009
Pre-school Teacher Training Route
The Ministry of Education and Ministry of Social and Family Development introduced an integrated Pre-School Education (PSE) framework for teacher training and accreditation applicable to personnel from both the kindergarten and child care sectors. The training route for pre-school teachers is effective from January 2001.
Academic entry points are specified for the Certificate and Diploma level courses.
The Specialist Diploma in Pre-school Education is available for polytechnic/degree holders from other disciplines. This programme incorporates both the teaching and the leadership components of both the Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education–Teaching (DECCE-T) and the Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education–Leadership (DECCE-L).